Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Our thoughts on not carrying products for political reasons

Eric was telling me the latest buzz on Orson Scott Card's Adventures of Superman #1, how some shop in Dallas isn't gonna carry it. About how a few of our customers have asked us not to carry it. If this was just Eric's shop that may be the case. But I am here.

Let me make it plain that I have no problem with anyone's sexuality. I hate right-wing Christians as much as any good liberal should.

However, this is just the other end of the shop in the small town that won't carry vertigo. The music store in the middle of b.f.e. that doesn't carry heavy metal or rap because of their political bullshit. I find the thought process behind this disgusting and I will have no part of it.

We will order any book that we feel has a chance of selling off our shelves. We will stop ordering any book that proves it is not selling after month on the shelves. We will do this for the "Gays are Evil" book. We will do this for the "Gays are the Saviors of Mankind" book. We are not here to make those decisions for you.

YOU can decide that we will not carry any product by not buying it. You can decide that we will have to reorder/bump up orders for more of a product by buying it. If nobody buys this new Superman book we will stop carrying it, just like anything else. YOU are the consumer.

-Roy

And while I do not share Roy's views on this he gets to win this disagreement.  I understand Roy's side and can not really argue with the sense of it. 

Eric




1 comment:

  1. Bravo, on the decision.
    Also Bravo on the ability to have a bushiness that makes sound decisions with give and take ingrain in what I would call your "operating morals". I really appreciate that you guys are out there.

    Brent

    ReplyDelete